I had so much zucchini on hand last week, I had to find some creative ways to use it all. Not sure turning zucchini into fries is original but it was a creative way to get the girl’s into the kitchen helping, and get them eating more greens. This was simple, quick, and fun!
I set up stations for the girls to help with. In one bowl, I added the egg whites, and the other, breadcrumbs and seasonings. One rolled the zucchini in the egg wash, and then handed it over for the other to roll in the breadcrumbs.
Let the fun begin…
They had so much fun. The best part was watching them help each other. Believe me, watching them eat their greens always makes me happy too, but watching them work together to help with dinner was the best reward! For a dipping sauce I added about 1/4 cup of marinara sauce with a couple tbsp of goat cheese to a small pot and warmed over low heat.
Have you ever checked out the nutritional data on zucchini? How about this, 1 cup of chopped zucchini has 20 calories, 2 grams of protein, 35% vitamin C, and is a good source of vitamin A, B6, and K!!
While we were cooking the zucchini, I wrote this little poem for the girl’s to make mealtime even more fun. We read the poem, acted out each line, laughed, learned, and had bellies full of good nutritious food. Now, that’s a real happy meal. :)
I’m long, lean, and a very healthy green,
the summer squash family is where I’ll be seen.
I’m high in vitamin A and C like an orange or mango,
to keep you from getting sick and make your skin glow.
I have protein for your muscles, magnesium for your heart,
fiber for your digestion, I can help almost every part!
Slice me into a fry or casserole for dinner,
try me in a muffin for a snack, any way I’m a winner!
- 2 zucchini, cleaned and cut into 3″ sticks
- 2 egg whites, beaten until foamy
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the over to 425 degrees
- Slice the zucchini into 3″ strips
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg whites until foamy, about 1 minute
- In another shallow bowl mix together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, and salt.
- Add a few zucchini slices to the egg whites and cover completely, then move them to the bread crumbs. When coated completely add to a covered baking sheet. Continue until all the zucchini is finished.
- Bake until crispy, about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.