My youngest turned two a couple days ago. She is the sweetest and spunkiest little thing around. One minute she is wrapping her arms around your neck and kissing your cheek and the next she’s telling you sorry only to leave you wondering, what has she done now? My oldest is much more calm and almost never breaks the rules; then enters the ringleader, her baby sis. Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around? Either way, together they fill this house with lots of personality, laughter, and love. There is a lot to celebrate when it comes to her birth.
To celebrate her birthday I made vegan coconut cupcakes for a treat. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com when I first started cutting out dairy. These are cupcakes are delicious and always requested when a special occasion rolls around!
|Vegan Coconut Cupcakes|
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed until it’s liquid
- 1 1/4 vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- 6 fresh strawberries mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 12 cup muffin pans or line with 16 paper baking cups.
- Measure the apple cider vinegar into a 2 cup measuring cup. Fill with milk to make 1 1/2 cups. Let stand until curdled, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk mixture, coconut oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan set over a wire rack.
- When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter.
- For the frosting:
- Cream the butter until smooth
- Add in the vanilla, jam, and mashed strawberries and mix well
- Mix in sugar and continue to mix until mixed well