One of our favorites lately has been a quesadilla with quinoa, black beans, corn, red bell pepper, BBQ sauce, and a fiesta blend cheese. There is lots of protein, iron, and fiber in these very healthy quesadillas!
|BBQ Quinoa Quesadillas|
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 8 tortillas
- Shredded Cheese
- Preheat a griddle or a non-stick skillet to medium heat
- Mix together the black beans, corn, bell pepper, quinoa, and BBQ sauce
- Line 4 tortillas with a little shredded cheese (a fiesta blend or mozzarella would work great)
- Then add about 1/4 of the black bean mixture to each of the 4 tortillas with cheese
- Sprinkle a little more cheese on top and cover with another tortilla
- Cook until the tortillas start to brown and cheese melts, just a couple minutes on each side
- Let it sit until cool, about 5 minutes
Another favorite quesadilla is a pizza quesadilla. It’s the same idea as the cookie cutter pizzas. I blend spinach and pesto together for one layer, tomato sauce blended with carrot and bell pepper, and then I sprinkle cheese and quinoa onto the tortillas.
These are both a big hit every time I make them. And my girls love to get the kitchen and help make their own! I will let them sprinkle the cheese, choose their own vegetables to add, and add the quinoa. It’s always fun for the little hands to get involved and a great time to teach them about all the nutrition coming from the different ingredients.