Several weeks ago I went to a paleo potluck dinner at a friends house. I eat very little meat (occasional sushi for dinner), and use quinoa a lot, so a paleo diet wouldn’t work for me but I love the idea of less wheat, no diary, and no sugar added. The day after the potluck I rounded up my little ones for shopping trip to Whole Foods. They always love to snack on a pumpkin muffin while I’m shopping. As they were eating the muffin I decided I wanted to try to come up with a simple grain-free, no-sugar added muffin. I bought almond flour that day and decided to give it a try. The first time I made them I used only almond flour, and they turned out pretty good but the next time I added gluten-free oats and they were much better. I’m not sure if you can have oats on paleo but that’s a staple item in my house. These muffins are paleo inspired, very simple to make, and delicious!
Happy Free Friday! Enjoy!
|Power Pumpkin Muffins
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
There is no reason to feel guilty when eating these power packed muffins. There is no flour, no sugar, no eggs, and no oil added to the batter. They get their sweetness from all natural ingredients like apple sauce, banana, and maple syrup. Thanks to the almond flour, pumpkin, and chia seeds these muffins are high in protein and fiber, but low in carbs. A great way to start the day or the perfect after school snack, or post work-out snack.
- 3/4 cup Gluten-Free Oats
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups almond flour / meal
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice – or any combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger.
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a food processor with steel blade add oats, pumpkin, banana, apple sauce, and maple syrup and pulse for about a minute to combine.
- Add the mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and evenly distribute the batter.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.