This is my favorite dish to make when it’s warm outside, and we have guests coming over. It’ll take just a few minutes to make and can feed six people, or is easily doubled. This dish is great to serve for dinner, then if you have leftovers you can pack it for lunch the next day or for a picnic, because it’s just a delicious cold!
I used to always make pesto with pine nuts until one day I walked into the store and they were out. I had full intentions of going back the next day after the truck came in to look for them but I never made it. Since I always have an assortment of nuts at home, I replaced the pine nuts with pistachios. I’ve never switched back! Pesto is very simple to make, you can make it while the pasta is cooking so this whole dish can be prepped and cooked in 20 minutes or less! Now, that is my type of dinner. :)
You can top the pasta with feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, spinach or arugula, fresh tomato, fresh basil, avocado, the options are endless! The recipe will make enough pesto to cover the pasta and have some leftover. I love using the extra pesto on a veggie wrap or homemade pizza. It won’t go to waste, promise.
Pistachios are so tasty and very nutritious. A half-cup of pistachios adds 13 grams of protein, 7 grams of fiber, and lots of iron, calcium, B6, thiamin, and cooper.
|Pistachio Pesto Pasta||
- 1 lb of pasta
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup of unsalted pistachios
- 2 cups of fresh basil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp feta cheese (or nutritional yeast for vegan version)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Add pasta to a large pot of salted boiling water and cook according to box directions. While it’s cooking prepare the pesto.
- Add the garlic clove to the food processor, and pulse until chopped
- Add the pistachios and pulse until pistachios are finely chopped
- Add everything except the olive oil and mix until well combined
- While it’s still mixing, slowly add the olive oil
- Add the pesto to pasta and mix well, serve hot or cold
- I like to save the a couple tbsp of the pesto for sandwich, wrap, or homemade pizza later in the week
- Save any leftover pesto covered in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.