Brrr….it’s not snowing right now, but they are calling for a wintery mix tonight (Thursday) in Atlanta. Right now, it’s just gray skies, windy, and rainy. Not a pretty combination if you have to get out, but the perfect combo for curling up in front of the fireplace with a cup of hot tea and a book. Not that my kids and puppy will allow that, but it sure does sound nice. A little daydreaming never hurt. :)
Time for something warm and comforting for dinner in this winter storm. I chose sweet potatoes because they are so easy to make. They take some time to bake, but it doesn’t require me to do anything…the oven does all the work. Once they are done, cut it open and stuff it full of whatever you like, and voila – dinner is served! Your options are endless with stuffed sweet potatoes – leftover chili, red beans and quinoa, or the topping on the chipotle sweet potato skins for something savory, or sweet potato apple kale quinoa salad or this recipe maple cinnamon quinoa with pecans and cranberries for something a little sweeter.
When it’s cold I crave maple cinnamon flavors, and that is how this dinner was created. The sweet potatoes baked in the oven, and quinoa was made ahead and stored in the refrigerator, so this only took me about 10 minutes of hands on time! I love when dinner is healthy and quick!
Enjoy and stay warm!
|Maple Cinnamon Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes||
- 1 large, or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked according to package
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- coconut butter
- Roast sweet potatoes at 350 until fork tender, about 50 min
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add the coconut oil
- Once it is melted, add the pecans. Toast them for 5 mins, stirring often.
- Add quinoa, cranberries, cinnamon, salt and maple syrup to the skillet. Mix everything together, and remove from heat.
- Once sweet potato has cooled slightly, cut down the middle.
- Add a little coconut butter (or other butter) to the inside and stuff with quinoa.
- Serve immediately.