Typing while looking at this photo is making my mouth water. You just have no idea how effortless this salad is to make and how incredible it taste. This is what I packed in my mason jar salad for the week, so I wanted to share it with you. I usually make two sets of salads — a garden salad for a side dish and a heartier salad to have as a meal. I adapted this recipe from one I found on Whole Foods Market’s website. I wanted something more filling, so I added quinoa, and then placed it all on spinach to add some greens.
Everything about making this was simple. All I had to do was cut up the fruit, rinse the black beans, and whisk the dressing. When I packed it up into the mason jars, I layered in this order (bottom to top) — quinoa, avocado, mango, black beans, onion, lettuce. I used the black beans and onion as a buffer between the wet and dry ingredients. Perfect for three days in the refrigerator. I did leave the dressing off the salad until I was ready to eat it. Lots of people add dressing to the bottom of the mason jar, but I prefer to keep it separate and add it right before I’m ready to eat.
Simple, quick, beautiful, and healthy…check!!
|Mango Avocado Black Bean Salad||
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, halved, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 ripe but firm mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped, or 1/2 cup chopped red onion for a mild flavor)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups of spinach
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa
- Add the avocado, 1 tbsp lime juice, mango, and jalapeno to a large bowl and gently toss.
- Whisk together 2 tbsp lime juice, apple cider vinegar, cilantro, salt, honey together in a small bowl. Once those ingredients are mixed well, add olive oil slowly while continuing to whisk.
- Pour dressing over avocado mixture, add black beans and gently toss.
- Serve over a bed of spinach with quinoa.