This smoothie has three different citrus fruits. Citrus Fruits are high in vitamin C which may or may not fight off colds but it does help the immune system, it also helps the body absorb iron and is a key component in collagen. Vitamin C is getting attention lately because studies have shown it helps fight against heart disease. My cure all smoothie also has avocado and spinach; both considered ‘superfoods’. Finish it off with banana and ginger and this really is the cure-all smoothie! Happy Smoothie Saturday!
- Avocados are a superfood. They are high in anti-aging vitamins C and E. Avocados are also a good source of potassium, and fiber, and vitamin K. Vitamin K is known for helping blood clot and for bone health. One amazing thing about avocados is they actually allow the body to absorb more nutrients from other foods. There have been numerous studies to show after eating avocado the body is able to absorb more beta-carotene and lycopene and more. Avocados also help to lower bad cholesterol.
- Oranges are full of vitamin C. In just 1 cup of fresh orange you get 17% your daily amount of fiber, and even 2 grams of protein.
- Grapefruits are also full of vitamin C and also vitamin A. They have a soluble fiber called pectin, which has been proven to dramatically reduce cholesterol and help prevent clogging of arteries. They are great protection against colon and lung cancer.
- Limes again are high in vitamin C but even more important are the powerful flavonoids, called flavonol glycosides. This flavonoid has shown it’s ability to slow or stop cell division in some cancer cells and has antibiotic properties.
- Ginger is an anti-inflammatory and antiviral herb that is great for boosting circulation and lowering high blood pressure. It has also been known for motion sickness. I soon found that out after becoming pregnant and suddenly started getting terrible motion sickness in cars and planes.
- Spinach, like citrus fruits, is high in vitamin C. It is full of nourishing vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, A, Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, and many more. Spinach also contains many anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer compounds.
- Bananas are great providers of vitamin B6, C, fiber, and potassium. Potassium plays a big role in maintaining normal blood pressure. They are also known for helping protect against stomach ulcers, kidney health, and improve your body’s ability to absorb calcium.
|Cure All Green Smoothie|
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1/2 grapefruit, peeled
- 1 cup of spinach
- fresh ginger, I used about the size a chickpea, a little goes a long way.
- a couple handfuls of ice
- water if needed to blend
- Place all the ingredients into a blend
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute
- This will keep in the refrigerator overnight
I like the bite the grapefruit and ginger give this smoothie but if you want to sweeten it just add a little honey or agave.