A more appropriate name for my version might be Hunky Monkey. What other “ice cream” out there has quinoa, chia seeds, chocolate greens, and no dairy? It’s still delicious, promise. Ice cream is one of my favorite things when it starts to warm up and since yesterday it was 75 and sunny in Atlanta, I’d say now is a good time for ice cream. It’s Friday and we all deserve a nice treat so here it is, a super healthy version of Chunky Monkey ice cream.
I made a batch of quinoa protein bars but left out the agave and chocolate chips. They still taste great, and I’m going to add some chocolate chips back into this recipes so they aren’t completely lost. After the batter was made I rolled a dozen small balls, about 1/2 inch in size. Think about cookie dough ice cream – yep, that size. If you already have some quinoa protein bars in the freezer, just cut them into smaller pieces. I also froze several very ripe bananas. You will need to have the bananas in the freezer for at least 5 hours so if you don’t have bananas in the freezer already, go put them in now, you can read the rest of this after. :) All you need are frozen bananas, quinoa protein bars, some extra peanut butter and chocolate chip, and walnuts, and voila – you have Chunky Monkey Banana Ice Cream!
This healthy treat is good for your taste buds, and for your body and brain. Bananas, peanut butter, and walnuts are all considered brain food. They have many nutritional benefits, I’ve listed a few below!
- Great snack for after a workout
- Helps to regulate bowel functions
- Bananas provide energy
- Can help ease symptoms of PMS
- High in Protein, Fiber, vitamin E, vitamin B3 and minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and calcium
- Low in sugar and carbs
- Has Resveratrol, which is a natural antimicrobial
- Can lower your risk of getting gallstones
- Walnuts are one of the top natural sources of omega-3′s
- Help decrease LDL cholesterol
- High in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients
- Natural source of melatonin, which helps you sleep.
Happy Free Friday!
Quinoa Protein Bar recipe HERE.
|Chunky Monkey Banana Ice Cream|
- 12 small quinoa protein balls, about 1/2″ in size
- 4 frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Place the frozen bananas and peanut butter into a food processor and mix until it becomes a soft serve ice cream texture, about 1 minute. You may need to stop and scrap down the side occasionally.
- Then scoop out the banana mixture into a medium bowl and add walnut, chocolate chips, and the frozen quinoa protein balls. Mix well.
- Divide evenly, and top with any extra chocolate chips and walnuts.
I find that it comes out best when the bananas are not frozen solid. All they need is about 6 hours in the freezer. If the bananas are frozen solid you may need to let them sit out at room temp for a few minutes. It may also help to cut the bananas into 1″ slices if frozen solid.
This makes 4 small servings or 2 large servings.
READ THE LABEL on your peanut butter. Many brands have partially hydrogenated oils.