How about a green smoothie that tastes and looks like a chocolate milkshake? Well this is the recipe for you! My youngest daughter Katelyn and I whipped this up for one of those late night snacks when my teenagers had a stack of homework that wouldn’t quit and needed an energy boost!
This is a great way to use up those older bananas that no one wants to eat – just peel, place into a Ziploc bag and pop in the freezer till hard. They are perfect for this smoothie since they get sweeter as they continue to ripen.
And yes, greens – I try and get them into my family as much as possible even chocolate greens. Barlean’s has a spanking brand new product that has yet to hit the market but it is coming soon! They sent us a bottle to sample and boy is it dreamy! They call it Chocolate Silk Greens and it will have you swearing that you are enjoying something other that 20 fruits and vegetables.
If you can get your hands on it buy it, but in the meantime you can use Amazing Grass Powder which also has a whole host of really “amazing” ingredients that will have you wowed! They really get all that in there you might ask? Well if one scoop is good for you then two must be better, right? Here are some of those AMAZING benifits:
• Helps achieve your 5 to 9 daily servings of fruits & vegetables
• Naturally detoxifies & boosts your immune system
• Complete raw food with powerful phytonutrients
• Alkaline green plant foods balance acidic pH levels
• Whole Food nutrition, no fractionated vitamins
• More organic whole leaf greens per gram than other green superfoods
• Probiotics & Enzymes to aid digestion & absorption
• Featuring Sambazon organic pure açaí powder
My family was a bit skeptical about the chocolate and the green combination but let me tell you the silence after I handed them there cups said it all. Bottoms up it was for my kids and empty cups all around!
Katelyn went and got a recipe card and immediately started writing down the recipe so that she could have it for next time. She is gathering quite the collection even at 10 years old! She makes me proud! You might make a believer out your kids yet, just tell them after you give them the smoothie that there are greens in it and see what they say.
|Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Power Smoothie|
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/3 c. smooth or chunky natural peanut butter
- 1/2 c. Greek yogurt, plain, non-fat
- 1 T. chia seeds
- 2 scoops of Amazing Grass Chocolate Powder or Barlean’s Chocolate Silk Greens
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1 1/4 c. vanilla coconut milk
- Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth.
- Enjoy and don’t forget to share!
If you have a peanut allergy swap out the peanut butter for Sunbutter.