Holy sweet tooth settle down before I replace you with a veneer!! Mine is out of control right now, so I made a trip to the store to pick up some chocolate chips. One of my favorite sweet tooth fixes is about a tablespoon of chocolate chips with a couple dried cherries. It does the trick every time! So why not bring those two together for a sweet snack to help me out? :)
This new bar recipe comes at the perfect time. With the school year at it’s half way point, it is time for something new and exciting in my girls lunches. Something sweet, but still healthy and filling, and as always, easy to make. Two of our favorite snacks — homemade granola and quinoa protein bars collide to create this new and very tasty snack!
Oat flour is high in protein, fiber and iron, so I prefer to use this over rice flour when I’m making something gluten-free. Though, most flours should work well in this recipe, so feel free to substitute what works best for you. The same goes for the milk. I prefer Almond Milk since it’s one of the few non-dairy alternatives without carrageenan, but any milk would work.
Hope your sweet tooth is satisfied! Happy Friday.
|Chocolate Cherry Quinoa Bars||
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Foods minis)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 3 dates, pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Add the oat flour, quinoa, cherries, chocolate and salt to a medium bowl.
- Add the almond milk, dates and vanilla extract to a blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix well.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish (I used coconut oil), and spread the batter evenly.
- Bake 25 – 30 mins, until light brown on top and cooked through