I was reading a super fruits and nuts article on Food Matters blog earlier in the week and was inspired to get as many of the listed items into a smoothie as possible. I had raw cacao, coconut water, maca root in my pantry, I just needed to get my hands on some goji berries. I’ve seen them many times but have never bought them, other than the chocolate covered one’s. ;) If you haven’t bought them before, I would recommend them to anyone. My girl’s love them and think they are a treat, since they have a sweet flavor , and gummy texture. They would be great to top off oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, or granola with, easy to add to smoothies, or great on their own! This smoothie is full of amazing ingredients with powerful antioxidants, and high sources of vitamins and minerals.
For all the distance runners out there, skip the chocolate milk after your next long run, and rehydrate with with this smoothie instead!
Happy Smoothie Saturday!
- Goji berries have more vitamin C than any other fruit. One ounce of berries contains 250% vitamin C, and is also a good source of vitamins A, B, and E.
- Raw cacao is a great source of iron ad magnesium, not to mention most likely the most concentrated sources of antioxidants.
- Maca Root is said to increase strength, stamina, and supporting the immune system.
- Coconut water is high in electrolytes, the highest source in nature, making it a great option to hydrate after a workout or a warm summer day.
Read the full article from Food Matters here.
Navitvas carries many of these items online if you can’t find them in your local store.
|Chocoalte Goji Berry Smoothie|
- 3/4 cup coconut water
- 2 heaping tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries
- 1 pitted date
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Add all the ingredients to the blender
- Start on a low speed, slowly increasing to high
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute