I love the struggles, triumphs, challenges, intense trainers and determination of the contestants on the show The Biggest Loser. Everything about it makes me want to get off the couch and do something good for myself. Lately, I have noticed many of The Biggest Loser recipes on websites, namely Pinterest. This version of Sweet Potato No Skins, from The Biggest Loser Quick & Easy Cookbook by Devin Alexander, caught my eye over the weekend.
The recipe only takes 20 minutes to make, which is a winner in my book, but it did call for bacon and cheese — two things I prefer to avoid. So I changed it up and little, but still left it simple and now I have healthy Chipotle Sweet Potato skins! These will be great as an appetizer and filling enough to be the main course.
I sliced the sweet potatoes about 1/2 inch thick on a slight diagonal, so the slices would be a bit larger to hold the toppings. Tossed them with just a little olive oil and placed them in a single layer on a cookie sheet to bake. After baking for 10 minutes on the first side, take them out, turn them over and continue baking for another 8 minutes.
While they were baking I prepared the toppings. Both take just a couple ingredients and minutes to prepare. The chipotle base is simply 2 chipotle peppers, from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus 1 tsp of adobo sauce, blended with 1 cup of plain greek yogurt (or a vegan yogurt). The sauce is delicious!! I’ve been using it for a veggie dip and a spread on wraps! It’ll add so much flavor. The chipotles will bring some heat to the recipe so if you need something mild try using 1 cup of plain yogurt with 3 tbsp of mild green chile peppers and 1 tbsp fresh lime juice.
For lunch this week, I used the leftover sweet potatoes and topping to make a wrap for lunch. It was a great way to use up some of the leftovers from dinner! I can’t wait to serve this as an appetizer the next time I have friends over!
Nutritional Info per Serving:
- 250 calories
- 5.5 grams of fat, almost all from olive oil and yogurt (I did not use fat-free yogurt)
- 11 grams of sugar, more than half the sugar is from the sweet potatoes
- 7 grams of fiber
- 12 grams of protein
|Chipotle Sweet Potato Skins||
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup greek or vegan plain yogurt
- 2 chipotle peppers + 1 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup black bean
- 1 cup organic corn
- 2 tsp cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450
- Mix together olive oil and salt in a medium mixing bowl
- Add sweet potatoes and lightly coat
- Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove, flip over, and put back in to bake for another 8 minutes
- While they are baking:
- Add yogurt, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to a food processor and mix until well combined
- Warm the 1 tsp olive oil, black bean, corn, and cilantro together on the stove top over medium heat.
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, remove them from the oven and let cool for a couple minutes
- Then add a layer of the chipotle cream, and top with the black bean and corn mixture