Are you looking for a quick and delicious dinner for your family tonight? The bulk of it comes from your stocked pantry. Check out my post on Stocking a Healthy Pantry and you can have this ready in no time. Try this kid approved meal for a real win around the dinner table. You can even make a double batch, freeze half for later and you will have dinner already made for that crazy day that is right around the corner.
This dish can be changed up for a different type of meal – you can serve the Chicken Corn Chili over the Black Bean Quinoa with salsa and cheese or use the meal to make tacos. I softened corn tortillas, filled it with the Black Bean Quinoa and then added the Chicken Corn Chili and topped it with Mexican cheese, fresh salsa and sour cream. Feel free to use the meal to make enchiladas with the chicken mixture and serve the quinoa on the side. Whatever way you choose it will be awesome! You can make this in a crock pot, a pressure cooker or just on the stove top – so pick your method and get ready to enjoy the compliments!
I made this yesterday and got rave reviews from my kids and husband. As usual there were several things going on after school so having dinner already made was a huge stress reliever for me. My kids come home from school starving, well maybe not starving but really, really hungry. They would tell you they are starving and as a teenager there are few things that are important and food is near the top of the list in my house! My daughter Julia who is 13 thanked me more times than I could count for making dinner and kept saying how good this was. She said, “Mom this is so good, really good, I am not kidding this is really good!”
My kids really enjoy eating real food and they are very good at giving feedback –good and bad, so this recipe gets lots of stars by it so I know to keep in as one of their favorites. I think you will find that your family loves this one too and you will love that it is so easy to make, not to mention how good it is for you!
|Chicken Corn Chili and Quinoa with Black Beans|
- 4 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 16 oz. salsa (I like Jack’s Medium Chunky Salsa)
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 t. oregano
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 16 oz. can of corn, drained
- 1 – 16 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 3 T. cilantro, chopped
- Ingredients for Quinoa with Black Beans:
- 1 t. canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 c. quinoa
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. cayenne
- 1 c. canned corn or frozen, thawed
- 1 – 16oz black beans, canned
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- Directions for the Chicken Corn Chili:
- For cooking on the stove top place chicken breasts and fresh salsa in large saucepan.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Add the corn and pinto beans and mix again.
- Turn the heat onto medium/high until it begins to simmer and then turn down to medium/low until chicken is cooked thru, about 20 min. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the chicken to a plate to cool enough to handle. Shred the chicken with your hands or 2 forks.
- Return the meat to the pot and combine with the sauce.
- Stir the corn and the pinto beans into the slow cooker. Simmer until ready to serve.
- Directions for the Quinoa with Black Beans:
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir corn, black beans and chopped cilantro into the saucepan.