A friend asked me for a healthy brownie recipe a couple weeks ago. Healthy brownies? That is music to my ears! I knew if I was going to get “healthy” brownies, I needed to start with black beans, so away I went. I tried a couple different recipes, most called for some type of flour, or had a long list of ingredients and steps, but I wanted simple, and fast. Of course, healthy, and chocolate-y, too!
After following recipes for the first couple of batches, I decided to throw the recipes out the window and start playing. In front of me were a can of black beans, coconut oil, eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and my food processor. No flour or hand mixer anywhere in site. Everything went in the food processor, then into an 8 x 8 baking dish, and baked for 25 minutes. Then the hard part — waiting for them to cool!
These have sugar added, so I wouldn’t go all out and say these are great for you, but I can assure you they are better for you than most brownie recipes out there. The ingredients are simple, and there’s plenty of protein and fiber filling each bite. Do they taste just like regular brownies? Not exactly. Taste, yes, very similar, but the texture is just a little different. Did that stop my two and four year old from eating every last crumb of their special treat? Not for one second. :)
You could easily adapt this recipe to your liking. I’m listing my favorite recipe so far, which has peanut butter added but it is completely optional. I’ve made it with it and without it, and it’s good either way. Next I want to try adding a teaspoon, or two, of instant espresso! How about a black bean espresso brownie with your morning cup of joe? I could wake up to that! You could add Barlean’s Chocolate – Raspberry Omega Swirl, walnuts, coconut, chocolate protein powder, the options are endless! I made one batch of these and replaced the eggs with chia eggs (for each egg, 1 tbsp of chia seeds + 3 tbsp water, mix together constantly for one minute, then let it sit for 2 more minutes before adding), which worked great! I think it’s safe to say, you can’t mess this one up.
|Black Bean Brownies||
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans (about 1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Add all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, to a food processor.
- Mix until it’s smooth, about one minute.
- Then add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times until they are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 8 glass dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Check to make sure they are done by sticking a toothpick into the center of the brownies. If it’s clean when you remove it, they are done. If it’s still wet, then put them back in for a couple minutes.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.