I love the smell of cinnamon. It reminds me of Christmas time, cinnamon rolls (yes, not exactly healthy but they are oh so good!), and being in a cafe in NYC that I visit often. I always knew cinnamon was healthy so yesterday I read more on this spice. I was amazed at just how powerful it is. Cinnamon is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium. Studies have shown that just 1/2 tsp of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol and several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes. Amazing, right?
You can add cinnamon to your coffee or tea, oatmeal or cereal, toast, or in this case blend it in a smoothie! Just a little cinnamon adds so much flavor and nutritional benefits. Give this one a try. Happy Smoothie Saturday!
|Banana Cinnamon Green Smoothie|
- 1/4 cup milk (I prefer coconut or almond milk)
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt (I prefer vegan coconut yogurt but any will do)
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 tbsp sweetener; such as agave, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 handful of ice
- Place all the ingredients into a blender
- Start on a low speed, slowly raising to high
- Blend until smooth, about 1 min.