For Free-Friday I have a fabulous dish for your family! Are you ready? To make this Gluten Free just use Gluten Free Pasta otherwise you are good to go. All you need is some salmon and broccoli and the rest you can find in your fridge and pantry. If you buy salmon when it is on sale and freeze it, just thaw it out and away you go. You can also use frozen broccoli if you are in a pinch, don’t go to the store just for one thing! If you don’t have broccoli, improvise and use the zuchinni in your veggie drawer, it doesn’t really matter.
This pantry based meal can be made in under 30 minutes and is so good you will have everyone fighting over the last piece. All of my client’s kids LOVE this meal and end up eating all of thier dinner and some of thier parents. I know you are supposed to share with your kids but it is funny to hear the parents not wanting to share thier salmon! Even if you don’t know how to cook fish you can cook this recipe. It is not rocket science and I promise if you just try you might surprise yourself!
|Baked Spicy Maple Salmon with Broccoli & Parmesan Pasta|
- Ingredients for Salmon:
- 6 T. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 T. ginger root, grated (I use a tube of Organic Earthbound Farm Ginger Paste)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 4 – 6 oz. salmon filets, skin off and bone out
- Ingredients for Broccoli and Pasta:
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite size florets
- 1/2 lb. whole wheat pasta or Gluten Free Pasta (I used orecchiette shaped but any small will do)
- 2 T. butter, melted
- 1 T. hot water
- 3 T. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Directions for Salmon:
- In a small heavy saucepan combine maple syrup, water, gingerroot, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and simmer until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Cool basting sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange salmon on a foil lined cookie sheet and season with salt and pepper. Brush salmon with glaze and bake for 8-10 minutes or until it flakes with a fork.
- Directions for Broccoli Pasta
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and place in a large serving bowl.
- Steam broccoli florets for about 5 minutes and add to the pasta.
- Mix 2 T. of butter and 1 T. hot water together and drizzle over pasta and broccoli, stir to coat.
- Sprinkle 3 T. grated Parmesan over the mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and hot pepper flakes.