How many memories do you have involving apple pie? It’s about as American as you can get, especially in the fall. Last fall I took my girls to pick apples at an apple orchard in north Georgia. The trees were all in perfect rows overlooking the Georgia mountains and we had perfect fall weather. I’m already looking forward to a trip up there this year!
Here are a couple photos from our day on the apple orchards last year, courtesy of my good friend and photographer Karen Nickel.
There was the greatest antique ladder at the apple orchard. It was perfect for a photo prop, and for the girls to climb on to reach the apples.
Hard to believe almost a full year has passed since this day!
We start at least three days a week with oatmeal so I’m always trying new recipes. I love the convenience overnight oats, but sometimes you want something hot off the stovetop to start off your day. This one hit the spot.
|Apple Pie Oatmeal||
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup rolled oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill GF Oats)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat
- Once it begins to boil, reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally
- Cook until it thickens, about 10 minutes
- Serve in bowls and top with extra cinnamon, nutmeg, apple, and walnuts (optional)