This year I am determined to make school lunches green. In the past, I’ve relied heavily on BPA-free plastic storage and bags, but I knew there were better options out there. While shopping around for new lunch gear, my four year old saw a princess lunchbox she thought would be the perfect choice. I explained there could be chemicals in the plastic that could hurt her so we should try to find a safer option. She looked at me confused, as I totally expected, and said, “why would they put something in there if it could hurt me?” When those words came out of her mouth, I was totally speechless. It was a simple statement, but coming from my daughter’s mouth, it made an enormous impact. I think we should make a video with all of our children asking manufactures that same question. Wonder what their response would be?
I am very thankful for two friends, Essential Safe Products and Safemama, who are helping me make changes to get our lunch gear, and the rest of my kitchen and home green. They are going to be a big part of this Green Week on Green Plate Rule, as I focus each day on finding ways to replace toxic materials with safer solutions.
I have been lucky to get to know the caring people at Essential Safe Products. Started by a mother of six who was providing healthy, organic meals for her family, but was not always using the healthiest and safest products to store and prepare foods. She started making changes and wants to help others find the safest products around. Not only are they only selling the absolute safest products available, they want to educate everyone on the toxic chemicals out there. On their website, is a list of information about toxins you will find in many products you may have in and around your home. This is a fantastic reference and will certainly help encourage changes!
“Our goal is not only give families a place where they can find non-toxic and safe products, but also educate and inform others on healthy lifestyle changes.”
ESP cares so much they are offering all of you 10% off your entire order through the end of the month with code “GREEN1”. Also, orders over $50 receive free shipping, always a bonus I like to see when I’m ordering online! Check out all their safe products, and keep reading to find out how you can win one!
Also, my good friend, Safemama, has an extensive list of lunch gear that is free from toxic chemicals and she deems safe. This list is an excellent reference! She works hard searching the safest and best products in all categories from detergents, toothbrushes, sunscreens, and bug repellents on her Cheat Sheets page. She has lots of product reviews and has many homemade options on her blog.
I really want to encourage you to work towards a safer, green lunch for your child, and for yourself!
Here are five ways to get there:
1. Choosing the right Lunch gear. Toxic chemicals like lead, BPA, PVC, and Phthalates are in most lunch boxes and packaging. These are all dangerous chemicals you do not want around your children, and certainly do not want their food touching. Read more about those chemicals here. PLEASE take the time to read and learn about these harmful chemicals! Stainless steel is one of safest options, but it’s certainly not the cheapest. If you choose to use plastic, please make sure the plastic is BPA-free.
2. Reuseable Water Bottles. Sending water will save you money and help avoid extra sugar, and additives children get from boxed juices. To make the water more flavorful, try squeezing some fresh citrus, or make flavored ice cubes and add to the water. Save on waste –skip the bottles of water and buy a reusable stainless steel bottles, like these offered from ESP.
3. Packing Fresh Fruits and Vegetables. These are always an excellent option to pack in school lunch. Your children will get lots of vitamins, minerals, and fiber from each serving. Also, packing raw fruits and vegetables require no energy to cook.
4. Start Using Reusable Accessories. If you pack lunch five days a week, and use at least two plastic bags, and a napkin every day that is 10 plastic bags, and 5 paper napkins a week, and that’s for just one child. There are lots of exciting, colorful options out there for reusable utensils, bags, towels (I love these, just ordered a few!!), and straws.
5. Teach your children why lunch should be healthy and green. One of the best things we can do as parents is to teach our children why we make the choices we do. Teaching them why we need to work to have less waste, get rid of harmful chemicals, and make lunches healthier will help encourage them to make changes. They will thank you later…it might take 20 years, but one day.
ESP wants to make sure one lucky winner will start the school year right with a high quality stainless steel lunchbox made by Santos Mundo, pictured above or follow link for more details. This oval container is perfect for packing pasta, race, salads, and sandwiches! Also, included in the giveaway is this reusable produce bag — the same bag was given away as swag at this year’s Grammy’s!
Thank you so much, ESP, for making this possible!
Here is how you enter!
Giveaway is open until Sunday, August 26, 2012. One winner will be randomly drawn using Random.org. You can receive up to six entries!
***Please be sure to leave a separate comment for each entry to make sure they all get counted***
THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED
- Go to ESP’s website and check out all their fabulous items! Tell me which one you would love to have.
- “Like” ESP on Facebook (leave first name and last initial in comment)
- Follow ESP on Twitter (leave your twitter name in comment)
- Pin your favorite product from ESP’s website (leave link to pin in the comment)
- “Like” Green Plate Rule on Facebook (leave first name, last initial in comment)
- Follow me on Pinterest